Informed by the library’s vision, mission, values, and community aspirations, the 2020 strategic plan was approved by the Board of Library Trustees on November 26, 2019. Read it here, or download the 2020 strategic plan (pdf).
- Vision: To empower every voice in our community
- Mission: We share the information, services, and opportunities that fulfill Oak Park’s aspirations.
- Community aspirations: Literacy, Education, Diversity, Inclusion, Equity, Empathy, Health, Safety, Affordability
2020 strategic plan
Engagement: The Oak Park Public Library connects people and builds community
Corresponding Values: Equity, Civic Responsibility, Collaboration, Compassion, Gathering, Participation
- We focus on inclusive engagement and service to diverse community groups.
- We facilitate connections among diverse audiences through shared community aspirations and experiences.
- We lead the community in impactful civic engagement.
- We attract and retain a library staff that reflects the diversity of our community.
Learning: The Oak Park Public Library educates global citizens
Corresponding Values: Knowledge, Access, Literacy, Privacy, Education, Opportunity, Intellectual Freedom
- We build capacity for literacy and education.
- We prepare people for continuously changing technology.
- We improve patrons’ lives through opportunities to create and to learn new skills.
Stewardship: The Oak Park Public Library sustains, shares, and respects community resources
Corresponding Values: Accountability, Preservation, Sustainability, Transparency
- We invite everyone into library spaces that are welcoming, safe, and inspiring.
- We provide broad, effective, and equitable access to resources.
- We prioritize sustainability.
- We support all library staff to achieve happiness, well-being, and success.