To help continue to contain the spread of COVID-19 and to serve our community, the library is putting people and safety first, reintroducing services and reopening buildings in stages. Learn more about each service level and our plan »
We are now in Service Level 2. This means the Main Library is now open for limited visits, Dole and Maze Branches remain closed, outside book drops are open for returns, and we continue to offer contact-free services if you are not ready to go inside the Main Library. See what you can do during Service Level 2 »
Main Library now open with safety precautions & limits
Visits to the Main Library will look a lot different than they did during pre-COVID-19 times. Face coverings are required, gathering spaces are unavailable, and visits are limited to 1 hour or less. The focus is on self-service, and library staff will not be available at service desks.
Building capacity limits & other changes
The Main Library has a total building capacity limit of 120 people, and a floor limit of 40 people. We’ll be doing hourly broadcast reminders to encourage everyone to keep their visit to 1 hour or less.
- Before you head in, check the real-time capacity count on the library’s website (in the top gray bar on every page).
- While you are here, see a real-time capacity count on screens located in the vestibule, the lobby, and near elevators on all floors, and listen for periodic audio announcements.
- Gathering spaces are unavailable; tables and chairs have been removed, and children’s play areas are unavailable.
- We’ve also made physical changes to the building, following recommendations of the American Institute of Architects, including:
- Increasing outside air flow into the building.
- Having fewer touch points overall. For example, propping open external doors to public restrooms and replacing hot air hand dryers with paper towels.
- Requiring one person/household per elevator ride.
- Disengaging public drinking fountains.
- Disengaging parking garage gates (always keeping the gates up) so there is no need for paper tickets to enter and exit.
More safety precautions for staff & visitors
Here are more ways we are working together to keep each other safe and well. Find more specifics in our internal Safer Working Guide for Staff »
Wear face protection; stay home when you are sick.
Wash hands regularly; staff wear gloves when handling items.
Clean and disinfect all high-touch surfaces frequently.
Follow safe physical distancing guidelines.
All returned materials are quarantined for 3 days before being checked in and recirculated.