As one of the library’s Teen Services initiatives, Leading Edge strives to surround teens with opportunities to maximize their innate potential to lead socially and academically through peer mentoring and coaching.
To help spread the word and increase program visibility, we are inviting interested teens to enter an image contest to promote Leading Edge at the library.
- Be a teen, 13-17 years old.
- Be original. Submissions cannot include, be based on, or derived from any pre-existing or third-party designs, trademarks, or copyrighted images.
- Be creative and have fun! More about what to consider when creating your image is listed below.
- Deadline to submit entries extended to Sunday, July 26.
Part 1: How it will work
- You fill out the online entry form »
Only JPG, PDF, or PNG formats are accepted. See more technical parameters listed below.
- We select three semi-finalists. All three win cash prizes!
For more important details now, see Part 3: Semi-finalist Technical Requirements.
- One image will win, and be used publicly in various ways to promote Leading Edge.
Part 2: What should your image represent and reflect? Leading Edge’s 10 key areas!
|1. Treat everyone with dignity.||6. Participate positively in Oak Park library activities.|
|2. Offer support to those who need it the most.||7. Honor the space.|
|3. Use language that does not offend others.||8. Honor agreements of confidentiality.|
|4. Understand the liberation of learning.||9. Speak words to empower.|
|5. Listen and honor multiple perspectives.||10. Seek first to understand.|
Part 3: Semi-finalist technical requirements
Semi-finalists must submit (or re-submit) electronic files following specific parameters:
- Submit a scalable vector version so that it is adaptable to electronic and print media, to reproduction on small and large surfaces, and to use in color or in grayscale. Set your image’s minimum resolution as 225 pixels per inch (ppi) or dots per inch.
- Flatten your submission’s artwork and convert text to outlines. If you use fonts in your image, ensure they are fair use and that you own the rights to the font.
- Consider your image will be used publicly at a wide range of sizes, from 1.5 inches up to 10 inches or larger. A good test of your design is to print it on 8.5-by-11-inch paper and put it 10 feet away. Can you read it?
About the winning images
- Everyone who submits an image will be notified via email by the end of July.
- Three semi-finalists will receive prizes: First place: $200; Second place: $150; Third place: $50.
- All winning artwork becomes property of the Oak Park Public Library, for use and/or modification in promotional materials. Prizes as described above will constitute full compensation for the use of the artwork.