Express your creativity and be inspired by your neighbors with support from your public library. Oak Park Creates is a unique local creators program that empowers you to share your books, movies, and music with your community in both physical and digital formats. It also gives everyone the opportunity to read, listen, and check out what Oak Parkers are creating and publishing.
Get expert answers, local connections
As the coordinator of Oak Park Creates, Kathleen Spale maintains the collection, develops related programming, and cultivates community partnerships for makers of creative works.
Create, publish & share your work
- Getting started? Create your book with Pressbooks »
- Have work to share? Oak Park Creates features original print and ebooks, movies, and music. Submit your work »
- Want to learn more? Review some basics (below) and connect with our Oak Park Creates Coordinator.
View the Oak Park Creates collection
FAQs: How to become part of the Oak Park Creates collection
Who can contribute?
Anyone with direct ties to Oak Park—including current and former residents and those who work or attend school here—can submit materials for consideration to include in the collection.
What can I submit?
Creators can share any physical format such as books, discs (DVD, Blu-ray, CD, LP), and other self-contained objects that can be stickered and labeled for loan. As with other items in the SWAN catalog, the library becomes the owner of all items shared.
Ebooks and digital audiobooks, movies, and music can be submitted for inclusion in the library’s digital collection. Acceptable filetypes include:
- Ebooks: ePub2, ePub3, or PDF
- Audiobooks and music: MP3
- Movies: MP4, MPG, AVI, 3GP, FLV, DIVX, WEBM, or OGG
Don’t have the correct filetype for your ebook? Create your ebook in the appropriate format with Pressbooks »
Who can see or borrow my work from the library?
As part of the Oak Park Creates collection, your work will be available for checkout to everyone with a library card in the SWAN library network, about 1 million people, and on display for checkout on the Main Library’s second floor.
Digital titles selected for the Oak Park Creates collection will be available to download and stream online.
Additionally, creators can opt-in for the opportunity to gain state and nationwide exposure if selected to become part of one of these digital collections for local authors available through inkie.org:
- Indie Illinois collection, a statewide collection of ebooks promoting independently-published local authors
- Indie Author Project Select, a Library Journal-reviewed collection of self-published adult and young adult fiction available to readers across the country
- Soon to Be Famous Illinois Author Project, an annual author contest in Illinois
Available to everyone in Illinois at no charge, inkie.org is a suite of resources that support local authors with online creation and publishing tools and allow readers to access locally-produced content.